Now accepting submissions.

Within the last 48 hours, we have witnessed her pseudo-concession speech and the emails insisting that she will support Barack Obama from this point forward. We have listened to the thank-yous for helping to kick-start one competitive campaign. At last, we shed a tear (perhaps multiple tears) as she addressed us on TV for one last time: our first, serious, female US presidential candidate.

We will support Barack Obama in his presidential candidacy. We believe his desire to bring change to this country; much like we have throughout the primary season.

But for those of us who have supported Hillary as our number-one nominee, there is a part of each one of us that needs space to grieve, vent, and grumble about all of the misgivings of this primary season - and the despicable way that the media (and, sometimes, other Americans) have discussed and deplored Hillary Clinton as both a woman and a candidate. Perhaps, while our healing begins, we can find space on here to applaud her as well.

In the days and weeks to come, we'll be collecting art and writings for submission to this blog. There is no deadline, and this is not something we intend to stop any time soon... so long as we need a space to keep on talking.

Please email thehillarycollective@gmail.com now to submit.

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Call and Response

Call: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/03/24/ST2008032400084.html

Response: I am an angry feminist. It's a recent development in my feminism, until a couple of months ago, I'd likely claim that I was a plain old, garden-variety feminist. But my buttons have been pushed, and I'm angry.

I'm angered by last week's post article A Vote of Allegiance, which painted us white feminists (although, I've never heard of anyone draw racial distinctions until then) as opponents of the black community. Alice Thomas, Howard University Law Professor, is quoted as saying, "To take a position opposite Barack is to take a position opposite my family and our community." Our community: the black one. Meaning that I, as a Hillary supporter, am implicitly racist.

Despite my low-paying job and my youth, which both may likely disqualify me from having a valued opinion in the public eye, I refuse to sit idly by and dignify her statements. It's seemingly luxurious, and ludicrious, for her to point fingers at us Hillary supporters, and cast us as enemies in the broader discourse. And I'm angered that she'd question my support of the black community. I've been, and remain, an ardent, lifelong supporter of the "community"—much moreso than the average joe caucasian on the Barack Obama bandwagon.

I'm angry at those who dismiss my support of Hillary Clinton and call me a whiner (case in point, Professor Arica Coleman: "I wish people would stick to the issues, and the ultra-feminists would stop crying wolf because their girl is not winning.") I'm angry that I am supposed to deny my gender, something fundamental to my being and self-understanding, but support African American identification with Barack as a black man (which, I do support in case you are wondering).

I'm angry that women like Coleman call Hillary supporters Ultra Feminists, to paint us as left wing man hating nutcases. We've managed to shake the term feminazi, mostly because people don't want to appear insensitive to the plight of holocaust victims and their families, not because they don't actually view us feminists as angry and militant. Last time I checked, feminism isn't like gender, there's no spectrum: you're either on board, or your not.

I'm angry that my friends, strong college-educated, independent women have been silenced and discouraged by the public response to Hillary Clinton.

- Tina P., Washington, DC

No comments: